If you are abused:
You are not alone and you are not to blame. You cannot control his violence. There are ways to make yourself safer:
- Call the police if you have been assaulted, charging abusive males is a necessary step in reducing physical violence
- Consider ending the relationship as soon as possible. Without intervention, his violence will increase in frequency and severity as time passes.
- Develop a safety plan.
- Memorize emergency numbers.
- Keep spare house and car keys handy.
- Recognize that no one has the right to control you and that it is everyone’s human right to live without fear.